Jayco Dove Outback to Mt Dare via Oodanatta Track June 2011

I had planned to cross the Simpson in early June ,however looks very likely that it will be closed, so plan B is to do a circuit of the Simpson. Originally I was going to leave the Jayco camper at Marree or Lyndhurst and pick it up on return from the Simpson after doing the loop back through Birdsville, know my question is would it be advisable to take it up theOodnadatta Track, into Coper Pedy back up to Oodnadatta via Painted Desert Track then onto Mt Dare where we will leave it for a few days while we head into the Simpson. I understand the road will be fairly rough in parts, however common sense dictates you always drive to the conditions. The Outback Dove have good clearance and I will dustproof and rescrew and glue the cabinetry and fit a stone guard and decent tank guard before I go, which is the general consensus of most Jayco owners. Anyone had recent experience of this trip or a similar one with Jaycos or the pop out style campers.

Thanks ,
Campy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, Apr 23, 2011 at 11:26

Saturday, Apr 23, 2011 at 11:26
Contact Mt Dare or Oodnadatta Roadhouse (if the Plants are still there) directly, they are tremendously helpful and no one will know the road conditions better. Staff from Mt Dare regulalrly respond to this Forum

http://www.mtdare.com.au/

http://www.pinkroadhouse.com.au/

AnswerID: 452115

Reply By: Sigmund - Saturday, Apr 23, 2011 at 19:46

Saturday, Apr 23, 2011 at 19:46
I've done the Ood Tk, and Ood to CP via the Painted Desert, with a light off road soft top CT with no real drama. But a lot depends clearly on when it was last graded.

Just be sure to cable tie your anderson connectors together if you have them. They rattle apart often enough with one side getting bashed off and finding a replacement out there can be a big ask.
AnswerID: 452137

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2011 at 21:19

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2011 at 21:19
HI Campy, keep the tyre pressures at 26 to 28 psi on the dirt and don't go over 80kmh. It's the 2880 rule!!! Our Dove and Swan has done all you are planning and worse. Mt Dare to Dalhousie was 70km of shocking corrugations in 2009.Took nearly 2 hours. A Penguin came in and had lost his rear mounted spare on the bumps. If it's really bad, stop every 20 min and take photos etc to let shocks cool down.
Stone guard on water tank is OK but add a piece to cover the inlet/outlet pipes.....W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 452396

Follow Up By: campy - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2011 at 09:08

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2011 at 09:08
Thanks to all for the information, I appreciate the 2880 rule Warrie- good one to remember.Yes the exposed inlet /outlet pipes is the area I will cover.
Thanks Jeff
FollowupID: 725102

Sponsored Links